MS word 2003

  hgrock 10:18 01 Sep 2008

hello all, i have a word doc. but i want to create a vertical line on the page about 2 inches wide from the left margin. the body of the text goes right of that line. and left of the line i can place little notes and references. i don't know what this is called so i cant find it in word help. i tried columns but was unable to jump about from column to column at will, any help on this please

  DieSse 10:38 01 Sep 2008

You need text boxes.

Make two / one for your column on the left / the other for the rest of the page.

You can put a coloured background in the left one if you wish.

  DieSse 12:23 01 Sep 2008

PS - and you can just draw a vertical line, if you need to, or course.

  skeletal 14:27 01 Sep 2008

The other thing you could do is set up a two column, single row, table. You then remove all outer borders and just include the single column separator as the line. You can easily move the line horizontally to position it as you want.

The advantage of this is that the line (table) length keeps track of what you write. If, however, you want to fill the page to the end, you would need to fill the end of your text with carriage returns.


  oldbeefer2 14:34 01 Sep 2008

..drag the tabs at the top along to the position you want the text to start, then draw a verticle line from top to bottom just to the left of the tabs. Just tried it and it worked OK.

  oldbeefer2 14:36 01 Sep 2008

That was assumeing the notes are to be handwritten afterwards. If you want to type them in, then columns is the best way to go. Use the arrow keys to jump from one side of the line to the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone