MS Word 2000 - Format Menu

beautiful 12:19 23 Apr 2009

Using MS Works Suite 2000, the Word 2000 programme is creating a crash. With an open page in word, with or without typed script, if I go to the FORMAT Menu and then onto FONT, the whole things crashes and asks me to send a report to MS. However, things work OK in SAFE MODE.
I have tried removing the whole suite and also to ask for a repair using the CD, but this does not solve the problem.
I am also finding it hard, and very often, impossible to open existing saved files using Word 2000. This problem does not always exist in some folders. I have one folder where the problem is always there. On a blank document page, the FORMAT, FONT will not work and the programmes crashes back to the desktop.
Anyone any ideaas how I can correct this problem.
Martin

MAJ 12:34 23 Apr 2009

Word 2000 was notorious for having problems with the Default Template "Normal.Dot". The best way to fix it was to close Word and search your hard drive for all instances of the normal.dot file and delete it/them (there can be more than one installed). Then restart Word, which will automatically create a new clean normal.dot file, usually fixing any problems.
Normal.dot is a hidden file so make sure you are viewing hidden files in Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and also searching in hidden files in the Search options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?