MS Upgrades

logrin 16:56 16 Jul 2009

MS regularly breaks into my computer to upgrade its programs. I have XP and suddenly my computer shuts down and installs more upgrades, most annoying if I am working and don't notice the warning .

Why do they need to continually upgrade a program that is nearly obsolete and how do I stop them logrin

birdface 16:59 16 Jul 2009

stop running automatic updates and install them manually instead.

accordion 17:00 16 Jul 2009

Go into Control Panel and open Automatic Updates.

Put a tick in the box to 'Notify me' about updates.

Then you'll be able to control when updates are installed, and even when you download them.

It's important that you do install updates though, all systems and many programs require updates to prevent security loopholes being exploited. (They discover new issues all the time!)

Dave

peter99co 17:06 16 Jul 2009

MS Updates are automatic if you allow it to be this way. It is not wise to stop updates completly as they are to prevent hacking and other important issues.

Go to Control Panel and turn off Automatic Updates. It is possible to use Notify Me if this is better for you.

The reason for continual updates is because hackers are always finding different ways to disable software and MS has to plug the holes they find to get into your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?