MS Updates - Review b4 install at Shut Down

Guady 09:42 15 Jul 2009

I have MS Updates set to Download but not Install until I say so! But I have a problem at present in that, when I come to switch off, I get a message saying that Updates will be installed - but I can't find a way to see what they are and decide if I actually want them. The little yellow shield is not visible - so can anyone please tell me how to see what MS are planning to install on my PC. Until I can check, I am using the option to close without installing, but it may be something I want. I just would like to choose!

birdface 10:02 15 Jul 2009

Maybe remove automatic update and update it manually.Updates are usually 2nd tuesday of every month but just run it when you want and then choose what you want to install.Anything you do not want to install click on the + sign on it and a box will open underneath just tick do not show this update again and you will not be bothered with it again.

Stuartli 10:25 15 Jul 2009

You already have the correct Notify Me of Updates but don't Install Them (until you choose which are required) mode.

When you first click on the yellow icon, you should get a panel up listing the available updates for your system.

Click on Customise, review the updates by highlighting each one in turn and then selecting (ticking the box) those that are required. Then choose to download them.

When another panel appears about notifying you again about updates not selected, tick the box.

The updates will be downloaded and, when you come to switch the machine off, you get the message about Installing chosen updates before the system goes into Shut Down mode.

provider 2 10:38 15 Jul 2009

Have a look in Event Viewer to see what they are.

Start> Control Panel> Adminisrative Tools> EventViewer.

Then in the Event Viewer window (menu on the left), click Application.

Then left-click Windows Update Agent entry once (to highlight) and then click the Action tab at the top followed by Properties (in the drop-down menu), which will show you what each entry is about.

provider 2 10:42 15 Jul 2009

Oops, that third item should read:

Then, in the Event Viewer window (menu on the left), click System.

Guady 17:48 15 Jul 2009

Thanks everyone - I've now managed to download the Updates I want and not the others!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?