MS update problem

john bunyan 12:04 07 May 2009

I have XP Pro, NVidia 7800GTX, ethernet cable to Linksys wireless modem. Today was offered optional hardware update from MS ; nVidia - Network - NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
I downloaded and installed it, but then could not get on to internet, diagnosis alleged no connection etc, Restored to yesterday, and all is well. Any views?

birdface 12:19 07 May 2009

Run your microsoft updates manually and if the same update appears click on the + sign at the side of it.Another box will open under neath it.Just tick do not show this update again.That will stop it downloading in future.

Graphicool1 13:56 07 May 2009

I have my PC set to receive critical updates, but sometimes I run the MS update search facility, where it gives you the choice between 'Express' and 'Custom'. Express being for critical updates. Custom on the other hand offers me a selection of things. One of them is a driver update, for the mobo, C-Media. But if I load it, it causes a conflict with my sound card. It also offers the following...

'Canon MP160 Printer Driver'
The reason being it assumes my printer isn't working. This is because I only turn it on when I want to use it and it's working fine.

'Ms Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package'
It says it allows smart card vendors to more easily enable their smart cards on Windows. Don't want it, don't need it.

'Windows Media Player 11'
I don't want it.

'And of course the CRITICAL! update IE8'
Which makes my PC grind to a halt.

john bunyan 15:59 07 May 2009

I have update set to inform but dont install. I use the custom setting. So far I have always found updates worked. I (maybe wrongly) assuned that the MS "checks" one's hardware and offers updates that are relevant. This is the first problem I have had recently - last was SP3 and updates for . NET Framework 3.5. IE 8 now ok for me - but ,Graphicool1, I had a big problem with printing. Traced it to my Canon MP Printer bar. Deleted Canon tool bar - now works using IE8 print. Canon confirms no update for Easy Web Printer is available for IE8.

birdface 16:12 07 May 2009

It used to update my sound drivers and I lost the sound every time and had to roll back the driver for it to work again.So in reality it does cause a lot of problems to different systems.It took me a while before I discovered it was the Microsoft updates that was causing the problem.
I am sure that there are quite a few out there that have had their computer crash because of some of the updates.If you have problems with it once maybe remove it the next time and download the drivers from the NVidia site instead.

john bunyan 17:07 07 May 2009

Did as you suggest to stop the further prompt on this, but still curious as to what it was all about. When I installed it prior to the restore, apromt came up "Found New Hardware" to do with the network etc. Anyway it's gone now 0 thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?