MS Update KB954156 & KB938464

johndrew 10:04 10 Sep 2008

Automatic updates came up with 5 updates this morning; these included:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)

I selected `Install` and 4 including KB938464 installed but KB954156 failed.

I checked the MS information and tried again but this time I was told both the above could not be installed. I checked my Update History at the MS Update site and get a confirmation that KB938464 was successfully installed but KB954156 was not. I can find no other help on either subject.

Has anyone any idea what the problem may be? Is it a MS glitch or do I need to take action on the PC.

Many thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 10:08 10 Sep 2008

I should have said, I have the Windows Media Encoder 9 pack installed.

johndrew 14:29 10 Sep 2008

I have just been back to the MS Update site and the Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) which showed up before as outstanding has disappeared completely!!

It could be this update has a problem and has been withdrawn. I shall leave this open for a bit in case someone else finds a full answer and posts it or the `mists` clear a little.

BurrWalnut 15:45 10 Sep 2008

It's listed on Microsoft's catalog click here

johndrew 17:17 10 Sep 2008

It`s getting foggier!!

I agree it`s on the catalogue. I have the Windows Media Encoder 9 pack installed. Which means, to my mind it is applicable.

However not only has the update disappeared from the list when I go to MS Updates, but the yellow nag shield has also disappeared from the Toolbar. In that case it should appear as complete in my Update History; snag is it doesn`t.

I can only think MS have found a problem with the update and modified or withdrawn it for some reason.

Petesilver 19:58 10 Sep 2008

RE Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)
I have the same problem as the update failed and I have been back to the microsoft update site htr update is there but will still not update

johndrew 19:41 11 Sep 2008

All still a mystery, but it seems I shall make no progress so I`ll close this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?