ms spyware sometimes orange sometimes blue

puma22 07:28 20 Feb 2006

Hi, this isnt a problem, just a question of interest.
The small ms spyware in the corner of my task bar is usually orange, but occasionally, like now it changes to blue. I thiught that this might be becasue it needed attention such as a scan or it had found something. But no. Anyone know why this colour change?
cheers

quack 07:52 20 Feb 2006

Don't know if this is the problem but have you updated the MS Antispyware? You can do this by opening the programme and going to File>Check for updates.

puma22 08:17 20 Feb 2006

no, this doesnt seem ot be the issue. it is already up to date but have tried to update just in case. Still blue ;-)

Andsome 08:24 20 Feb 2006

It has been replaced and is now out of date. Windows Defender is its replacement.

click here

Dellman 10:51 20 Feb 2006

When did this change. I only downloaded MS Spyware the other day.

Also, if you have XP, do you need to have more than one Spyware programme?

rawprawn 10:54 20 Feb 2006

It changed just over a week ago, you can have as many antispyware programs as you want, but don't run more than one Antivirus

iscanut 12:30 20 Feb 2006

You can only install Defender if you have SP2.

Mytob 12:50 20 Feb 2006

Id always use more than 1 anti spyware program. the ms one dont scan for cookies aparantly as spybot turned up 27 that the ms one missed! I no they technicaly dont do that much but as im paranoid about these sort of things i ditched it and have continued to use spybot and adaware. also has any one noticed high cpu time and almost lockups when using the new windows defender? im getiing that for no reson on my pc and im just wounderin if its my pc as its kinda screwd up at the mo or if its the prog? i tink the process was msmgeng.exe

puma22 14:21 20 Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestion for defender. I suppose its academic now, but does anyone know why it is sometimes blue and sometimes orange?
Having installed defender, i now have ot icon at all in the task bar. Is this OK? I assume that spyware should be running in the background?
Cheers

Dellman 00:08 21 Feb 2006

My PC runs on an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+. Which download should I use? The MS site says that:

Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender Beta 2 also adds support for accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft also plans to release German and Japanese localized versions of Windows Defender Beta 2 soon after the availability of the English versions. Use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.

1) WindowsDefender.msi
6.4 MB

OR..

2) WindowsDefenderX64.msi
7.9 MB

??

quack 07:19 21 Feb 2006

Use Windows Defender.msi 6.4Mb. I have a similar system to yours except I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit 3500+ CPU. I downloaded the 7.9 Mb version only to be told it was not supported by my system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?