Is MS Security Essentials still performing well?

setecio 15:29 16 Oct 2009

What is the latest on MS Security Essentials.

On release it immediately got a good review. I'm wondering if it will keep up with the likes of Avast and Antivir.

click here

crosstrainer 15:39 16 Oct 2009

It's only a personal opinion, but I wouldn't trust it at all. Get yourself something else asap. And augment with ccleaner, malwarebytes, and asquared.

birdface 15:41 16 Oct 2009

Personally I prefer the individual approach.
1 anti-Virus program.
2 Anti-Spyware-Malware programs
1 Firewall
If anything goes wrong you know what program to fix.
You then have a choice of all the best programs to use.
Throw in SpywareBlaster and WOT and you have a good security bundle.

setecio 16:48 16 Oct 2009

Anyone got the latest PC Advisor (Dec 173) ?

Is MS Security Essentials tested in the Free AntiVirus tests ?

Just bought mag. It is in the Free AntiVirus Tests. It got 3 and a half! I use it. Scan speeds are really slow. If you combine this with Malware Bytes, Comodo Personal firewall and windows dfender you would have a perfect Free AV setup.

AlanHo 17:21 16 Oct 2009

I installed MS Security Essentials and am very happy with it on my Vista nad Windows 7 computers. It seems to have uninstalled Windows Defender upon installation and has taken over the Defender functions.

Pine Man 18:55 16 Oct 2009

....but very fast at boot up.

No problems so far and a brilliant price!

Condom 00:06 17 Oct 2009

I've been using it since day one and it replaced my PC Tools AV and Dr Spy. My PC now seems much quicker. I'm still using PC Tools Firewall Plus with it and of course I have Ccleaner. No problems so far and it is unobtrusive and starts quickly on my PC although for some reason it is one of the last thing to boot up on my neighbours PC.

I have used free stuff for years and occasionally I get a free scan over the internet from Norton but I have never yet found anything on my PC.

zarobian 08:28 20 Oct 2009

On installing MS Security essentials it has turned off windows defender. I can get windows defender updated and scan my computer with it. I do not know if I should keep windows defender or uninstall the software?

Pine Man 08:33 20 Oct 2009

It disables Defender because it contains it's own antispyware program.

You cannot uninstall Defender only turn it off.

zarobian 17:35 20 Oct 2009

Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?