MS Outlook 2007: Repeated reqest to enter p.word

six-h 00:07 08 Feb 2009

This evening whilst working on other programmes, with Outlook minimised to sys.tray, I've had a window pop up twice Headed "Enter Network Password"
The details are already filled in as my correct server, and user name, and even the password has the correct number of "stars" to represent my password.
Why has this started happening??
The first time I saw it, about 21:00, I just ticked the "save password in password list, and clicked OK, but this hasn't stopped it returning!
I still have the current pop-up window open, and it's sat on top of all other windows.
Just "mousing over the Sys.tray icon, it says "Outlook is synchronising folders"
Opening Outlook shows "Send/Receive" in the lower right corner, Requesting "Details" just shows "(Me)@ Talktalk.net - receiving"
But receiving what I don't know, 'cos my router shows no activity!
Help!

Sea Urchin 00:11 08 Feb 2009

TalkTalk email server is down - has been for most of the afternoon and evening - they are carrying out maintenance work.

If you have Outlook programmed to call for messages every so often then when that happens it will ask for your password.

Muergo 00:24 08 Feb 2009

I had same today using Outlook Express, my ISP is TalkTalk, thanks Sea Urchin for info.I had wondered what was happening, can't remember my password anyway!

six-h 00:24 08 Feb 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin,
I mainly use Web mail, so was unaware that the server was down!
Just checked my Send /receive settings, and they are every 5 mins. when online, but this has only happened twice in three hrs. Is that not a bit odd?

Sea Urchin 00:27 08 Feb 2009

It's been on and off all evening, so no I don't think it's odd. If you use webmail.talktalk you would still be unable to access the Inbox, although the site will open OK.

In fact as I post this it is up and running again (for the moment).

six-h 00:58 08 Feb 2009

Thanks again Sea Urchin:
It's like the proverbial "Bride's Nightie"!!

Just reading on their forum, seems some have had no phone or Net access, so I count myself lucky!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?