MS Outlook 2000 is collecting e mail.....

TonyV 20:26 15 Nov 2007

MS Outlook 2000 is collecting e mail..... It is suddenly receiving e mail when it is not my default e mail programme and not eve running!. I have listed Outlook Express as my default e mail programme, but when neither OE or Outlook are running, it is Outlook that decides to receive my e mail then throws a message at me that new messages have arrived.

For what I use Outlook for it is becoming far too cumbersome and unreliable, in that if I send attachments through Outlook, they are invariably not received by the recipient. So I then go the exercise of resending the messages via OE.

How can I stop Outlook thinking it is set to be my default e mail programme when in point of fact it is not?

Win XP SP2, OE6 Outlook 2000.

Thanks

TonyV

dms05 21:40 15 Nov 2007

Are you absolutely sure Outlook 2000 isn't running? It sounds to me as if it's been loaded somehow and when OE isn't running it assumes the role of email client as it's the only one loaded.

Take a look in Task Manager by pressing <CTRL><ALT><DEL> and select the Applications Tab and also look in Processes for Outlook.

Also try Control Panel under All/Remove programs and simply delete Outlook 2000 if you really have no future use for it.

VoG II 21:51 15 Nov 2007

You could also delete all of the accounts in Outloook if you really do not want to use it.

TonyV 00:06 16 Nov 2007

You are absolutely right, I notice Outlook is starting itself up, yet it is not showing in msconfig.exe so how does it get to start itself?

VoG™
I think the real answer would be to delete Outlook altogether It cannot start then can it?

The strange thing is, I don't recall it doing this before the last few days. It was then I had a few problems with Office 2000 and decided to try and un-install it but ran in to problems with the disc no.2. It kept fouling up on me. So I then reinstalled it again but with not all the applications since I now no longer have any use for them. I just left on Excel, Word and Outlook. It was then I noticed this phenomenon.

May be there isn't a way of stopping it short of un-installing that element.

Thanks

TonyV

TonyV 00:10 16 Nov 2007

Another point, I have just gone in to Task Manager again and in Processes, Outlook.exe was running three times!

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone