MS Office Visual C++ Runtime Library error

airbornenot 15:12 07 Oct 2005

I am using MS XP SP2 Home, Outlook Express for e-mails and I have MS Works. When a Word type attachment arrives with an e-mail, I can open it and read it normally. However, after the computer has been shut down and restarted, any further attempt to open the attachment produces a grey box headed:-
"Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime library".
Below is the red cross and "Runtime Error!" followed by:-
"Program:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE". This is followed by "abnormal program termination".On clicking "OK" the whole thing disappears.
The attachment can still be saved to "My Documents" where it opens normally.
In addition, when the computer is first switched on, the "CHRM" noise associated with these failures can be heard, but there is nothing associated with it on the desk top and the computer operates normally, so I suspect that it might be part of this problem. This all started recently for no apparent reason.
I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas about this.

recap 15:42 07 Oct 2005

Look in the Event Veiwer for any errors associated with this problem and, post back somebody will be able to help further.

Klof Ron 15:54 07 Oct 2005

Does this help click here

airbornenot 18:01 08 Oct 2005

Many thanks for the replies. I looked in the event viewer, but although there were some errors noted, they didn`t make any sense to me.

airbornenot 18:11 08 Oct 2005

I have had a similar error before when it would come up in the middle of creating a Word document and destroy the work that I had done. This was cured, but I cannot remember how. I have copied the MS aricle, thanks Klof Ron.
I have a feeling that this problem was caused by a recent download from MS which professed to run a quick check on the computer the next time it was started.
The error itself seems to have been resolved by using system restore, but I still get the "Chrmp" sound that goes with these error messages when the computer is started up. However, I cannot find any reason for it, so I guess I will live with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017