MS Office - Upgrading query

L_Driver 15:24 26 Feb 2007

General query for any MS Office gurus. I have Off 2000 Premium installed. If I wished to upgrade Word / Excel / Outlook to a more current version ( Office 2003 OR 2007 ) is this problematic in terms of leaving, for example, Access 2000 installed ? I have quite a lot of Access 2000 databases and a few VB6 programs accessing those d/bases. Not sure if these programs would function properly on a d/base upgraded from 2000. Also for anyone who has upgraded, are you happy you did ?

Woolwell 15:33 26 Feb 2007

I have Office 2003 with Access 2000 running as well with no problems. Happy I upgraded. The reason why I still have Publisher 2000 and Access 2000 is that I couldn't afford the entire new package. Eventually I will move to Office 2007.

If you do a custom install yopu can choose which parts of Office you wish to install.

Chris the Ancient 16:00 26 Feb 2007

I use Office 2003 on my main pc and Office 2000 on my laptop.

I have a large database with l-o-a-d-s of vb routines and they swap between the two computers with no hassle at all.

CtA

Terry Brown 16:07 26 Feb 2007

The only 'problem' I can see is that when you load an Office 2000 (word or spreadsheet), when you save it, it will sk do you want to keep the current format of convert to the updated office system.
I cannot comment about Access as I only started to use it in Office 2003.
Terry

skeletal 18:01 26 Feb 2007

There is one thing to be aware of if you wish to run Office 2000 at the same time as using Office 2003 (or want to swap between them) thus having both installed at the same time and use VBA: that is references. In the VBA window go to Tools/References and you should see “Microsoft Office 11.0 Object library” or “Microsoft Office 10.0 Object library”. 11.0 is Office 2003, 10.0 (or possible 9.0, I can’t remember now) is Office 2000. Sometimes, having the incorrect reference can cause code to crash.

So you may write code (in 2003) and have Office 11 referenced, switch to Office 2000, but the code may call up an Office 11 object, which will no longer be present.

Sounds complicated, but if your code doesn’t work (and you have eliminated the 10,000 other reasons why it doesn’t!) check your references.

Skeletal

L_Driver 20:08 26 Feb 2007

Skeletal, that`s the sort of info I was perhaps looking for. In VB6 (SP6) I only have 9.0 Object Library. Is this because I only have Office 2000 installed ? Would installing, for example Excel and Word 2003 also add 11.0 Object Library to my VB6 ? ( or do I d/load that if needed ). Ta very much to all.

skeletal 21:54 26 Feb 2007

Yes. If you install Office 2003 you get Office 11.0 library and all the individual libraries like Excel 11.0 and Access 11.0 etc. I don’t really know what the office 11.0 part is, all the components make sense (like Access, Excel), but not the Office one.

I do know that if I invoke an instance of, for example, Excel in Word, I can only use Excel’s objects if I tick on the Excel 11.0 library, and similarly for using Word in Access etc etc. You may have thought that, so long as Office was ticked, all would be well, but it isn’t, you need the individual libraries as well.

And hence my comments. You may write code in Access 2003 calling Word 2003, transfer to Access 2000 and you may not automatically keep Word 2003s objects, it may switch to 9.0 Word library.

Phew, I hope you see what I mean!

Oh, I just remembered a funny one with Access. It doesn’t really like switching between versions (even without calling other Office objects). You can do it, but always keep a backup of your database (in whatever version it was written) just in case it corrupts. In particular, if you digitally sign your code, and switch versions, you can get into real bother in that you can not open your code up again.

Skeletal

L_Driver 09:31 27 Feb 2007

Ta very much for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017