MS Office - docx vs doc

algernonymous 16:10 17 Jan 2011

Having been a user of OpenOffice on my latest laptop I decided to purchase MS Office Pro Plus as I could get it for £40. I received 3 discs (but no information/instructions):
the 'Office' package, which I've installed,
'Business Contact Manager 2010', and
'Office Communicator 2007'.

As a home user only, do I need to install the last two?

Also, as I have older Office versions on other PC's/laptops I own, is there any disadvantage to changing the default save format in Word from docx to doc (and likewise in the other programs)?

awest3 16:15 17 Jan 2011

Sounds like you got the same deal as me..I did not install either of the communicators...works ok..

I think you can save individual files in the older format if you want to use them with previous versions of word ...

Woolwell 16:18 17 Jan 2011

No need to install the other 2. I have found that business contact manager can be a pain for the normal user.

I save my new documents in docx. You need to bear in mind that if you send someone a document in docx they may find it difficult to open unless they have downloaded the reader.

bremner 16:18 17 Jan 2011

The only reason to save as a .doc is if you are going to send or pass the documenst to someone who has Word 2003 or earlier.

The advantage of .docx files is that they are much smaller that .doc files

algernonymous 16:31 17 Jan 2011

Thanks all.
As I also use other PC's with the older suites, if it's just a question of file size I'll default it to doc.

Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone