MS Iinternet Explorer ver 7 misbehaves

iscanut 20:10 15 May 2008

Am running Win XP sp3. IE7 sometimes hangs on boot up and the error log shows " faulting application". It does not always do this, but also sometimes freezes during operation causing me to abort it. I have an up to date copy of the instal file for IE7. Would it do any harm to run this to reinstall it to see if it is any better. I also use Firefox which is fine, so am not without a browser.

wis 22:38 15 May 2008

flash player would surgest you have alook here
click here

birdface 22:40 15 May 2008

You could try.Tools Internet Options.Advanced.And press reset.You will loose any add-ons but they can be added on later.

skidzy 22:44 15 May 2008

Goto msconfig and remove your startup entries;

Start / run and type
MSCONFIG
and enter

select startup and remove all the ticks except your anti virus and firewall and ok and reboot.

Do you still get the same message ?

If all is ok,you can replace one tick at a time and reboot,this should then tell you what app is causing the freezing.

This does sound like a startup program not loading correctly.

iscanut 08:14 16 May 2008

Thanks chaps. Still would like to know however if it is OK just to run the IE7 install program again to overwrite the existing files etc.

skidzy 18:59 16 May 2008

You can rollback to IE6 as this is a xp machine via add and remove programs and reinstall IE7 if wished.

wis 19:31 16 May 2008

reading notes i thought if you install xp3 over
ie7 impossible to uninstall

iscanut 19:39 16 May 2008

Quite correct, as on sp3 now, I cannot uninstall and then reinstall over IE6. I had thought of just running the install IE7 program again in the hope that it will overwrite the files and thus hopefully sort out any missing or misbehaving ones.

eedcam 22:32 16 May 2008

'reading notes i thought if you install xp3 over
ie7 impossible to uninstall'
What if you install sp3 over IE6 does that still mean you are stuck with 7 which I think is crap. Ok yeah you can do this and that with addons and whatnots but 6 runs flawless

wis 22:54 16 May 2008

no if you have ie6 ,how can you install over ie7
its not there to go over

nuts
yes go for this ,it might blank you, but lets see

wis 22:57 16 May 2008

nuts
my prev ages ago xp3 ie7 flash player did you
update latest adobe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?