MS Access - Long Integer

L_Driver 19:34 18 Jan 2007

Hi to any Access gurus. Any d/bases I have created I use TEXT for fields containing phone numbers cos there is 10 digit length max for Long integer (if field is set as number rather than text). That is, a typical mobile num is 11 digits long. How can I use a proper datatype ( number rather than text ) for such fields to let me enter 11 digits ? Ta in advance for all responses.

Woolwell 22:01 18 Jan 2007

Another way to do it is to have 2 fields. One for area code and the other for the number. This has the advantage of being able to group all area codes together.

Woolwell 22:01 18 Jan 2007

Another way to do it is to have 2 fields. One for area code and the other for the number. This has the advantage of being able to group all area codes together.

imacd 22:07 18 Jan 2007

Another reason for not formatting the field as any kind of number is that you will lose the 0 at the beginning. Stick with text

Woolwell 22:56 18 Jan 2007

I am generally in agreement with fourm member and imacd in that it is normal to use text fields for telephone numbers as you can then use the input mask.
However you can retain the 0 at the beginning of an area code if you specify it in the format property ie 0####.

L_Driver 11:07 19 Jan 2007

Ta for all comments. I don`t have any exp. of input masks and I don`t know what they are. I will stick to using text for phone num fields.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?