Mpegs will not play on Media Player 10

dazza39 14:25 12 Oct 2005

I can listen to music etc on Media Player yet come to play a movie trailer or Mpeg it freezes and won't play,and i don't know why,everything is fine on my computer,i had to recently do a repair so i thought that would have cured it but it didn't.??Whats causing this.

zemdarin 14:37 12 Oct 2005

Hi dazza39 read the item just above yours about Media 10 and DVD playing, you could learn something in there perhaps.

zemdarin 14:38 12 Oct 2005

sorry it is below now.

dazza39 15:05 12 Oct 2005

K thought that was different problem,but will take a gander.

dazza39 15:43 12 Oct 2005

Don't think this applies to my situation,i can play DVD's on my DVD player,its the Windows media thats the problem,Movie Maker works fine as well.Even looking on Microsofts site i can't find a straight answer,lol.

Mannanan 16:32 12 Oct 2005

This is not a cure but another request in this link to see if someone has an answer.

I have Windows Media 10 and it has just stopped playing the video for MPG files. The sound is ok and if I change the extension of the file from "mpg" to "vob", then POWER DVD works ok playing both sound and vision.

Recently I've tried various DVD burners (on test) and I wonder if one of them has upset the codecs or something. I've reinstalled Media Player 10 with no luck.

Any comments would be appreciated!

dazza39 09:01 13 Oct 2005

Mannaman

Look at zemadarin post,seems he has found a solution,with a link for an MPEG decoder which is free.As i have same problem as you.

dazza39 08:38 14 Oct 2005

Well,still haven't sorted depsite downloading a MPEG decoder program as suggested by another poster so still can'y play movie files mpegs's etc..don't know where to go now.

Stuartli 08:50 14 Oct 2005

Download the VLC media player from:

click here

I'm presuming you've enabled DVD and all codecs in WMP10's File Types and still had no joy?

dazza39 09:44 14 Oct 2005

Stuartli

Yeah i have checked all WMP10's codecs and settings.

Will try this download,thanks

dazza39 08:42 17 Oct 2005

Guys i'm still no better off with this problem,despite help for all here,just can't understand why its not working,system is clean,no virus's errors etc...don't really want to back everything up and completely format *sigh*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017