mpegs and avis won't play

roversfan 17:45 02 Mar 2003

I have a ms6378 motherboard with onboard trident 8mb video card. For my most things i do on the pc this is fine.

I got a new guillemot cougar video edition tnt2 m64 32mb video card with video in and out - pci version as my motherboard has no agp slot. Everything is fine with the card until I play movies (avi or mpg).

I have tried everything I can think of. I knew some other things were coming to the end of their day so I bought a new 400w power supply and new processor fan. I have reinstalled windows 98SE and downloaded and installed latest drivers.

I cannot disable onboard vga in bios but have disabled it in device manager. It will play the movies for about ten mins at most then system freezes. Sometimes with blue screen of death and sometimes just stops responding. Antivirus software run found no problems.

If I use onboard video, even while new card is in situ and drivers not removed - ie dual monitor set up - everything works fine. HELP PLEASE!

Is new video card knackered or has anyone any other suggestions.

Other specs - Duron 800, 256mb pc133 ram (8mb shared with onboard video), win98se, 40Gb hdd.

Thanx in anticipation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone