MPEG-2 decoder

pgj 18:53 06 Mar 2008

I have XP Pro on my pc - to day I tried to a DVD on it amd got the following message 'Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer'.

I was sent to Microsoft who advise I need an 'MPEG-2 decoder' for which they guide me to a few sites all of which wish to extort quantities of cash from me for the pleaseure.

I have the most upto date WMP and a newly installed xp pro package - surley this MPEG-2 decoder should be included? if not can any one advise why?

Further I wish to use my WMP for playing all my DVD video/ audio media can someone in the know advise of a freedown suitable load or if I my part with yet more cash the best thing to do?

If it has any bearing my video card is: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

Many thanks

MAT ALAN 19:21 06 Mar 2008

click here

K-Lite codec pack, install this it will play beermats...

pgj 20:22 06 Mar 2008

Thanks for that Mat Alan.

But am I not installing a complete new media player doing this?

All I want to do is be able to use my Windows media Payer to play all formats of DVD.

Sorry if I am sounding really thick here or missing the point.

Help

MAT ALAN 20:36 06 Mar 2008

All I want to do is be able to use my Windows media Player to play all formats of DVD.

Which is exactly what the codec pack lets you do, its not a standalone media player...

pgj 20:41 06 Mar 2008

So if I run set up for the full version and say yes to everything I'll be ok?

Sorry but it seems as clear as mud when I look at the download possibilities and then the set-up.

Guess I'm just a dumb blond

Gemma

MAT ALAN 20:49 06 Mar 2008

Guess I'm just a dumb blond, not so girl, if you are not sure always best to ask, click on the download link, install the package (just follow prompts) and we can go from there...

MAT ALAN 20:51 06 Mar 2008

click here

Gemma, if you are still not sure you could just download the codec you need from the link...

pgj 10:41 07 Mar 2008

Ok when I go to the download page there are about 10 options
K-Lite codec pack basic
K-Lite codec pack basic mirror
K-Lite codec pack standard
K-Lite codec pack standard mirror
K-Lite codec pack Full
K-Lite codec pack Full mirror

This alone I find very confusing.

However, I opted for 'Full'
Then on set-up I get warnings about having the remove all other codecs before proceeding and then get a very confusing options list. I have not completed set-up.

Sorry - I know I need a step by step idiots guide...

Gemma

Wak 10:54 08 Mar 2008

I use the VLC Media Player from Videolan click here.
It will play just about anything in Audio or Video except REAL Audio (ra) files.
It will even transcode some video files through the Wizard.
A great, FREE program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?