MP3 files have changed to OMA files

MICKY BOY 16:14 05 May 2008

Hi ,

Can anybody give advice or an explanation why this should have happed?
For some reason on my computer a lot of my records that were in MP3 files have changed to OMA files and will not play. Although these records have played on Windows Media Player for the last year or so. Some of the files have not changed and will still play.
Can I convert them back to MP3 or any other file type that will work in Windows Media Player?
Some of the records have been installed from cd’s yet they have still changed.
If I have to buy software to change the files back, can anybody advise a particular type.

Regards

Mick

Belatucadrus 16:57 05 May 2008

click here seems the OMA file format is involved with Sony and their digital rights management scheme and appears to be tied in with Sony SonicStage click here . If you have this software and it has transcoded your MP3s that's probably why Windows Media Player can't touch them any more.
Finding a converter to put things back appears problematic as it involves cracking Sony security. There are programs out there that claim to do it like WMAConvert but they're not free.

MICKY BOY 17:20 05 May 2008

Hi Belatucadrus,

Thank you for your response, I will read all the information you have given me. I think you are correct.
I just hope I can find a software to replace the files back to MP3 files as my music files will have be removed and start again.
Can anybody recommend a good software that they have used successfully?
Regards

Mick

Ditch999 19:39 05 May 2008

Maybe SonySonicstage created a backup or left the original intact? You could try searching your hard disk by typing in "*.mp3" in the search box without the quotes and selecting all files and folders to see if there are any mp3s left.

MICKY BOY 09:56 06 May 2008

Sorry Ditch999
I did not reply to your posting as I had to go out.
SonySonicstage did not created a backup or left the original intact, but thanks for your help.

Anybody got any more advice,

Regards

Mick

Ditch999 10:08 06 May 2008

Dont know if this still works but you could try it. click here Its a batch converter called Hi-MD Renderer and its still available. Remind me never to go near Sony! iTunes is bad enough!!

syedmahtab 13:19 02 Jun 2010

Hi Mick,

I have been using WMAConvert. You can use it to convert your files to any of the format that you can easily play. For complete details of features of program, you can check <a href="click here">boffin review</a>.

syedmahtab 13:22 02 Jun 2010

I have been using WMAConvert. You can use it to convert your files to any of the format that you can easily play. For complete details of features of program, you can check <a href="click here">boffin</a>.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017