Mozilla and Linux.

LastChip 21:51 07 Jul 2004

Many of you will be aware of the serious security problems with Internet Explorer and as a result, I have been experimenting both with Opera and Mozilla Firefox. Both of which I enjoy using, and in many ways, find superior to IE.

Anyway, Linux Mandrake 10.0 comes with Konqueror as the default browser and I thought I would like to try Firefox in Linux to see how it performed.

I have to say, the installation was a nightmare. I kept getting a message that the file could not be found, when trying to TAR (unzip) the installer, even though it was plain enough in my home directory.

The Mozilla site directs the installation as follows;

tar -xzvf firefox-0.9.1-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz

cd firefox-0.9.1-i686-linux-gtk2+xft/

./firefox-installer

If anyone wishes to install this browser in Linux and is having the same or similar problems, this is the work around I created that worked for me.

First command;

tar -xvzf firefox*

This successfully unzipped the file.

Second command;

cd firefox-installer

This takes you straight into the installer file.

Third command;

./firefox-installer

This finally runs the installer script and resulted in a successful installation.

For anyone wishing to try, I hope this results in a satisfactory installation for you too.

powerless 21:54 07 Jul 2004

Firefox 0.8 does not even have to be installed it can be run from it's directory.

0.9.1 installation yes...very nice :d

Chegs ® 22:09 07 Jul 2004

My biggest problem installing anything in any distro(I'm Suse 9.1 presently)is finding where the file actually is. ;-)

find *.* ?

especially if the files' name is erased from my brain by disturbance around me,so I usually burn the midnite oils in linux. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?