Mozilla Firefox consistently crashing - won't open

wildhouse 18:07 12 Dec 2010

I have been using Mozilla Firefox as it is consistently faster and better than IE. However, yestserday, it crashed and unlike when this usually happens, I have been unable to get it to work since (about 24 hours). Every time I try to open it it crashes - occasionally I glimpse a page for a few seconds then it crashes again. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 12 Dec 2010

Can you open it in safemode from the start menu?

tullie 19:01 12 Dec 2010

HJave you tried installing again?

Graphicool1 19:15 12 Dec 2010

You could un-instal and re-instal.

VoG II 19:34 12 Dec 2010

Corrupted profile click here

wildhouse 19:36 12 Dec 2010

I was unable to open it in safe mode, either. Firefox' website suggests a possible virus although they are unable to pinpoint a specific name for it! My final option will be to uninstall and re-install but thought I would post in case anyone else has had a similar problem. I am still able to use IE8 and Google Chrome - both being very slow today but put that down to being Sunday with lots of people online!

robertmonkford 19:50 12 Dec 2010

I run Vista Ultimate in 64-bit guise and installed the 64-bit version of mozilla. I had the same problem as you. After months of banging my head against a wall (metaphorically speaking), a friend advised me to install the 32-bit version instead (after uninstalling the 64-bit).

I uninstalled, rebooted, installed 32-bit version of Mozilla, rebooted and since then it's been problem free. Very strange. Hope it helps.

wildhouse 19:59 12 Dec 2010

Have no idea whether I have the 32 or 64 bit version, just know it is version 3.6! Am using Windows XP. Will try later to install and re-install.

wildhouse 23:50 12 Dec 2010

Just uninstalled having ticked 'Remove my Firefox personal data etc'. Seems to be working apart from an unresponsive script I had to end using the Task Manager, so fingers crossed! Thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?