Mozilla Firefox

johndrew 16:59 06 Feb 2006

I have read a number of postings recently with reference to Firefox problems. I currently use version 1.0 as I was told it was good - mainly by PCA. I was going to update to Version 1.5 and have downloaded it from the web.

What is the advice, is 1.5 O.K. or should I stay where I am?

ade.h 17:35 06 Feb 2006

You need to update for security reasons as much as anything.

Save your profile and make a clean installation.

Make sure that you have the version that became available a few days ago.

The Kestrel 17:38 06 Feb 2006

I downloaded Firefox 1.5 when it first came out with no problems on XP Home. I have since updated it with no problems once again. I would recommend you go to 1.5

johndrew 20:07 06 Feb 2006

Thanks for your response.

Save my profile? How do you mean? I was hoping it would be an update.

The Kestrel

Thanks.

VoG II 20:12 06 Feb 2006

If you uninstall the old version of Firefox and do not then delete its folder in C:\Program Files you should not need to save your profile. Just install the latest version and it will use your old profile.

Belatucadrus 20:59 06 Feb 2006

There were a few hiccups with some extensions like Spellbound, but they appear to have been adequately updated now.

ade.h 21:05 06 Feb 2006

I prefer to delete all traces in prep for any major update - and 1.5 is major - and keep only my bookmarks or profile. This was after a bad experience with version 1.0.6.

johndrew 11:42 07 Feb 2006

Whilst one response looks to make it easy and a way I think I understand the other appears to conflict. I really could do with a prefered method that both of you agreed with. Which way do I go?

ade.h 15:29 07 Feb 2006

Won't happen!! LOL.

Seriously though; after the pain in the seat cushion that was 1.0.6, which did not install very well and consequently enjoyed crashing numerous times per session - and could not easily be removed - I learned my lesson. Clean install!

VoG II 19:27 07 Feb 2006

I've never had any problem upgrading the way I suggested. In the unlikely event that things were to go wrong then you could do a 'clean install' and nothing lost.

martytoon 21:06 07 Feb 2006

I think the important issue is that you do upgade. In the release notes on the Firefox webpage it talks about important security enhancements in the 1.5.0.1 release. If you are still running v1.0 I guess there may be a number of potential vulnerabilities.

If its any help, I've updated each version without having to do a clean install and haven't had any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?