Moving WinXPHome to new mobo

daba 23:53 24 Jul 2008

I have a frshly installed WinXPHome on a hard drive, and I want to use it with a different motherboard than it was installed with.

What are the implications of the hardware changes, regarding the licensing ?

GaT7 00:19 25 Jul 2008

See 'Making windows XP work with new hardware' click here, also click here.

You may be flagged to activate Windows again. If it doesn't work via your Internet connection the usual way, call freephone Microsoft number 0800 018 8354 to do it manually. G

gartoy 00:20 25 Jul 2008

Hey daba

The only option is to build your system on the new mobo & reinstall xp, the OS wont run if it was installed on a different mobo.

If you only use that copy of XP on one system at a time you wont get any licence issues but may well have to ring up microsoft to get it reactivated.

daba 00:25 25 Jul 2008

Just as I thought.

I "bought" the XP license key, and all I have is the key number, no install disk.

I may be doing the seller an injusrice, but without the necessary COA do I actually have a valid copy of XP ?

daba 00:57 25 Jul 2008

... the seller "sold" me an XP Home Edition product key....

I have the sticker (mangled, obviously removed from the original machine), with the key number shown.

I don't have an XP Home EULA to check the small print, so.....

Has the seller legitimately passed on the legal ownership of the XP license, irrespective of the price paid ? I can provide documentary evidence that the license key was included in the items "sold" by him, and "bought" by me.

MCE2K5 01:05 25 Jul 2008

Windows XP Home Edition EULA click here

daba 01:19 25 Jul 2008

I've read the EULA now and still confused.

Owners of XP are allowed to resell (from EULA) provided the license is not marked as "Not for Resale". Does this appear on the sticker if that's the case?

What is needed by the buyer to ensure EULA is not breached?

I obtained the lecense key (and sticker) either to upgrade my own PC, or to upgrade a friends. I have to make choices regarding which PC receives which MoBo, Hard Disk etc. etc. and don't want to fall foul of activation problems

GaT7 01:29 25 Jul 2008

From what I remember of the licensing terms in simpler terms....

If it's an OEM licence (which is clearly the case here), the licence cannot be transferred from one system to another.

In other words, this OEM licence 'dies' with the system it was originally installed on. I.e. if the system is scrapped, the licence goes down with it.

The one exception is when one needs to change the motherboard (or any other failed hardware) of the ORIGINAL system it was installed on. So technically, your licence is invalid. G

GaT7 01:31 25 Jul 2008

So technically, your licence is invalid for the purpose you're wanting to use it for. G

GaT7 01:36 25 Jul 2008

From click here, at the bottom:

"OEM licenses still different

It bears repeating, however, the the OEM license that comes with Vista is indeed similar to the Windows XP OEM license in that it forbids any kind of transfer. As we have previously reported, users have nevertheless had success transferring those copies of Windows, but they are technically stepping outside of the bounds of the EULA when doing so."

G

daba 08:27 25 Jul 2008

Thanks for the pointers - it it much as I thought

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?