Moving Virgin router to another room

lindyloo4 17:43 03 May 2015

I would like to move my Virgin router into my living room. I did have Virgin TV but that has been cancelled for some time. However the cable is still there. My query is can I connect the router to this cable or would separate signals have been sent down individual cables. I know I could try but I'm afraid of damaging the router. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 03 May 2015

router or modem?

No connecting to the cable will not damage it, however I suspect it may not work as it may be a cable that was originallty from the router.

lindyloo4 18:11 03 May 2015

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat. It is a Virgin Super Hub that I am wishing to move and the cable left in the living room went into the back of my Tivo box.

BT 18:31 03 May 2015

Virgin TV and Broadband all run off the same cable. My cable has a splitter to feed the TIVO box and the other side of the splitter is routed to another room where it is split again to fee a HD TV box and the Broadband Router/modem. I think the plug is the same so you should be able to plug it in. How is the router fed now?

lindyloo4 18:36 03 May 2015

Hi BT. I'm sorry I have no idea how either are fed as both cables come up through the floor. There could be a splitter under there but I have no idea. Thanks for your reply.

BRYNIT 21:33 03 May 2015

If no changes to the cabling have been made since the TV box had been removed connecting the Super hub to the cable should work.

lindyloo4 22:14 03 May 2015

Thank you all. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

lindyloo4 13:41 04 May 2015

I've connected the router to the other cable and it is working perfectly. Thanks to everyone who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?