Moving Shortly

manrow 07:30 02 Dec 2007

Had broadband in my last house connected to my wireless router which I have brought with me.

I guess I will need a cd from my chosen broadband provider before I can receive anything?

I know a MAC code will help, anything else?

Is it a silly question to ask the departing owner if he has a disc?

anskyber 07:52 02 Dec 2007

Why don't you just get your current BB provider to reprovide at your new address?

If you are changing ISP's then yes you can simply start again, a MAC is for moving ISPs on your current line.

manrow 08:18 02 Dec 2007

Thanks for that anskyber, but won't I need the original installation discs which are still in store?

anskyber 08:32 02 Dec 2007

Usually the set up disc is to enable your PC to be configured as it needs to be including any drivers/software required for say a usb modem. Once done all you should need to is go through the set up internet connection process through xp (or Vista if you are using it)

Have a word with your ISP to confirm their individual requirements.

johnnyrocker 09:23 02 Dec 2007

i would think that if you continue with the same provider then your pc needs no action and iy should be a case of plug and go

johnny

tullie 09:51 02 Dec 2007

Assuming its a different phone number,wouldent manrow have to change it with his isp?

johnnyrocker 09:53 02 Dec 2007

it would still be a broadband set up the old way if using same isp

johnny.

manrow 07:18 03 Dec 2007

The essential piece of information I omitted is that my desktop is in store, and only my laptop is currently available which has never been linked to my router.

So from the remarks above I assume it will be a completely new installation.

Using wi-fi, can I download the necessary drivers that I will need? Are these related to the router or relevant to the ISP? My previous ISP was BT?

Graham. 08:35 03 Dec 2007

Do you have broadband at the new house? If so, connect the router to the mains and see if the laptop can see it. The laptop will need to be wireless enabled and wireless switched on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?