moving registered programs to new computer

ragbag 15:11 06 Apr 2005

I am an idiot, but I have no idea how to move programs, which have been regisered, from my old computer to a new one. I don't need to move the files created by these programs, except my address book from Eudora and favorites from IE. I have all the files I need on DVD disks.
When registering, the program supplier knows the source computer, so how do I instal to the new one problem free.
I do not have any furher need for these on the old machine.
Maybe it's just my stupidity, but I do not want to find I have lost support/update etc. with stuff that is vital to me.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
ragbag

VideoSentry 15:18 06 Apr 2005

What OS do the machines have?

VideoSentry 15:21 06 Apr 2005

Has the new machine got a spare bay? If so you could install the old disk and copy them across, as to problems with using them on a new machine, I had no problems when I transfered mine.

Diemmess 16:06 06 Apr 2005

Most applications will simply not run if copied..........This is all about installation when Windows goes off by itself to integrate with its Registry and set up all sorts of paths,links and references.

Registration, is a direct approach to the Software manufacturer to pop yourself on his mailing list for upgrades and perhaps some help if needed.

If you change the HD you can easily copy all your data, but the majority of serious Applications will require the original CDs and serial or key numbers and installation all over again. You can usually then re-register with the software.

TBH1 16:10 06 Apr 2005

Unless I'm reading this wrong, in which case, I will get me coat, just reinstall your software onto your new PC using your original discs.

Diemmess 16:28 06 Apr 2005

There's always "another" way but can lead to tears and a mess. That is to keep your new HD as a slave and try to use the old HD just as it is.

The problems lie with the new one having a different motherboard and etceteras. During the time you spend sorting out all the different drivers, you might find that the computer will not even boot up.......... This way seldom brings tears of joy and happiness!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017