Moving protected folders in XP

tallboy 09:36 23 Oct 2006

I recently re-built my PC HDD using Windows XP and an NTFS file system, with three logical drives. By default, XP has set up 'My Documents' (at administrator level) in the 'C' drive. During setup I requested the administrator 'My Documents' folder not to be viewble by other users who may log on.

I would now like to move the administrator 'My Documents' folder to the D drive, (to separate it from all the folders containing program s/w and to make it easier to back up) whilst at the same time retaining the file protection.

I tried to move it using the usual Shift-drag-drop approach, but XP simply created a shortcut rather than actually moving the folder and maintaining the pointers / links to keep the protection in place.

Is there a way to achieve what I am trying to do? All suggestions welcome.

Tallboy

Eric10 09:46 23 Oct 2006

Right-click My Documents > Properties, then click the Move button.

De Marcus™ 09:46 23 Oct 2006

Press the start button, right click on My documents and select properties, change the 'target' location.

tallboy 10:18 23 Oct 2006

Many thanks for the quick reply Eric10 & DeMarcus - it's all done now.

Tallboy

tallboy 10:41 23 Oct 2006

All the files moved OK, but the protection was removed, such that when I log on as another user, I can access them all. How do I re-establish the protection?

Eric10 10:48 23 Oct 2006

Log in as Adminstrator and right-click your new documents folder then click Properties. On the Sharing tab, tick the 'Make this folder private so that only I have access to it' check box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?