Moving password protected folders in Windows 7

tallboy 08:37 28 Nov 2009

I have just taken delivery of a new Windows 7 PC. Although I asked for the hard drive to be partitioned and the the documents folders to be put on the D: drive, that did'nt happen.

I have now created a second partition, but the folders associated with my login (as administrator) are still in the C: partition.

How do I move them to the D: partition whilst still maintaining their protected status and the same appearance on the desktop?

(I seem to rember in XP it involved changing permissions and moving them in 'Safe Mode' but hopefully Windows 7 is more sophisticated than that!)

Technotiger 09:00 28 Nov 2009

Why put them in a separate partition? I have never understood why people want to do this, IMHO it is only allowing scope for extra problems to appear eventually. Especially when the extra partition is on the same hard drive, just what is the point?

I have never used extra partitions, and have never had any problems.

rawprawn 10:30 28 Nov 2009

I agree with Technotiger, partitioning a hard drive which already contains the OS is a waste of time.

bremner 10:58 28 Nov 2009

A quick google found this click here

tallboy 17:39 29 Nov 2009

Thanks for the link bremner - most helpful.

Why do I want to partition the disk Technotiger & rawprawn? If 'disaster' should happen and Windows 7 fails badly, thus requiring a re-format, I am saved the trouble of having to also re-install all my data files from a backup.

I agree in an ideal world, reformatting should not be necessary, but it has been in the past and I'm sure it will be again in the future!

Technotiger 17:45 29 Nov 2009

Hmm, sorry, but I don't understand. If a disaster happened, with C: and D: on the same Drive, neither would be accessible.

By far the best Insurance, in case of disaster, is Acronis True Image, or similar and an external, or separate hard drive.

Technotiger 17:47 29 Nov 2009

PS - forgot to say - bremner's link, useful as it is, does mention having a Separate drive for the backup.

tallboy 19:43 29 Nov 2009

Fear not Technotiger - I do have an external backup drive and online storage.

By 'disaster' I meant a software disaster rather than a total (hardware) disc failure. For example, earlier this year I had a boot sector screw up on my XP machine - it may have been a bad sector that caused it - I don't know for sure. I tried to do a repair install, but that didn't work. In the end I had to reformat the C: partition and reinstall from scratch. However, all my data was still OK on the second partition.

Technotiger 19:52 29 Nov 2009

Fair 'nough, just that, from your initial post, it looked as if you were talking about partitioning a single hard drive.

Cheers ...TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017