Moving on to new Hard drive

shermenator 15:04 09 Jun 2003

Hey. I already have a 40Gb Fujitsu and have just bought a Western Digital 120Gb HDD. At the moment they are both installed on my system. What i would like to do is install windows on my new hard drive and then move all my documents over from the old one. Would windows allow me to install the same windows disk on another hard drive???

Eagie 15:19 09 Jun 2003

Someone may suggest another (easier) way but why not disconnect your 40gb drive for the moment, do a fresh install of windows on your new drive then reattach your old one as a slave drive so you can copy files over? I guess you may have to delete windows from your old drive for licencing/legal reasons.

Taff36 15:20 09 Jun 2003

Why not keep your operating system on the original drive - 40 GB should be more than enough - and simply move your data onto the new 120 GB drive. You don`t need the heartache of transferring the OS - do you?

shermenator 15:36 09 Jun 2003

well i am looking to move the 40Gb onto a new system. you see i am gradually building a new system up and relegating the older stuff to my old case

shermenator 16:04 09 Jun 2003

im looking at using either Norton Ghost or Western Digital Data Life Guard to transfer the data over. would anyone recommend either one of them from experience??

Taff36 17:20 09 Jun 2003

Norton Ghost is what our IT Consultant uses and he swears by it. Hasn`t adversley affected our company system either when he`s swapped to larger hard disk drives.

shermenator 17:47 09 Jun 2003

right. well i have used ghost to clone my old drive to the new one. but now i need to change the system/boot volume from the old drive to the new one

shermenator 16:44 10 Jun 2003

i am getting a error message, "error loading operating system" when i try to boot with my 120Gb drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?