Moving menu bar when scrolling down a page

murgle 07:25 02 Oct 2006

Hello,

I have noticed that some websites have a menu bar on the left of the page which moves down as you scroll down a page. Does anyone know where I can find information or a script on how to do this.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

harristweed 07:58 02 Oct 2006
  Eric10 12:47 02 Oct 2006

I've used one on my website for a few years now and I have put a demo up in my webspace for you to see; there is a download link if you want to save it, along with the associated javascript and CSS files. There is a problem with the one linked to by harristweed (in common with many others that I have seen) in that it only works in Quirks mode without a DOCTYPE at the top of the page. My version works with or without a DOCTYPE and is based on one that I originally downloaded. I would have linked to that site to give it credit but unfortunately it no longer exists. click here for the demo.

PurplePenny 23:40 02 Oct 2006

You can do this with CSS, using fixed positioning. Unfortunately until IE7 goes public it doesn't work in IE.

Here is a lovely example, with code, from the W3C:
click here

murgle 21:37 13 Oct 2006

Many thanks for your replies. I'll have a play around with all of them. I must say, I like the suggestion by harristweed.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires