Moving Mail

blazingbadger 08:50 22 May 2009

Can any one tell me how to move an item or items of mail from Windows mail to a folder on my computer.

oldbeefer2 09:11 22 May 2009

Not sure about windows mail, but in other email progs you can 'export' from the 'file' list.

Taff™ 09:30 22 May 2009

Simply open the folder in Windows Explorer, then drag the e-mail from your Windows Mail (InBox for example) and drop it into the folder. It will be copied with a .eml file extension.

Pineman100 09:32 22 May 2009

Just to clarify, I presume you mean that you want to move the email from your Inbox to a different folder within Windows Mail. Is that right?

If so, then you need to create the folder, and then just drag-and-drop the email into it.

If you're thinking that you can save an email to a folder outside Windows Mail, then that's rather more complex an issue. An email is not a discrete file like, eg: a Word document. It's part of a database. So that precludes the possibility of saving it individually to a folder elsewhere on your computer. But you could, as oldbeefer2 suggests, export your entire Inbox to a different folder.

Taff™ 11:47 22 May 2009

"If you're thinking that you can save an email to a folder outside Windows Mail, then that's rather more complex an issue. An email is not a discrete file like, eg: a Word document. It's part of a database. So that precludes the possibility of saving it individually to a folder elsewhere on your computer."

Sorry Pineman100 - that`s not accurate! Try it for yourself. ;o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 22 May 2009
  lotvic 12:07 22 May 2009

I would have thought it was the same way as it is in Outlook Express,
When I want to save a copy of an individual email to another folder (in My Documents for example) I just highlight it and then go to File > Save As
then I save it to wherever wanted. It becomes an *.eml file that I can doubleclick on to open.

Pineman100 13:40 22 May 2009

I tried it myself, and you're absolutely right. Many thanks for the correction.

Apologies, blazingbadger.

Taff™ 17:47 22 May 2009

No problem! It`s a handy way to back up important e-mails individually and saves having to search through Outlook folders for a vital piece of information.

blazingbadger 19:15 22 May 2009

oldbeefer2 Yes export works Thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017