MOVING HOUSE BROADBAND TRANSFER?

rotormota 16:20 19 Nov 2007

Hi,

I am with Tiscali broadband & will shortly be moving house & taking my existing phone number with me.

BT are activating my line on the 7th of December so if I ask Tiscali to start the transfer process today my bb will be shut down at my current address within a day or so & I will be without it for up to 20 days. It is essential I have access to the net & my only option apparently is to revert to a dial up connection for the duration of the bb transfer.

Is this normal procedure? Do all providers take so long to move an account?

Thanks.
J

johnnyrocker 16:23 19 Nov 2007

ask tiscali for a MAC number and with luck you should get a seamless transfer.

johnny.

rotormota 16:27 19 Nov 2007

I thought MAC numbers were for changing providers which I'm not doing?

anskyber 16:30 19 Nov 2007

Fraid so, although it can be a lot quicker. Your ISP has to ask BT to enable the line but this cannot occure until after it is activated ie the day you move. (Catch 22)

Get a dial up to keep you going, I was off for 2 months.

dazza39 16:36 19 Nov 2007

Actually

I live in the Channel Islands,and any shift of Broadband is done within 10 working days, mind you as I live on an island its different.
Also I work for the local Telco C&W as well and actually set people up with accounts,lol.

Taff™ 16:40 19 Nov 2007

PlusNet reckon on 5 days but I think this depends on BT`s co-operation and not always guaranteed.

If you are out of contract I suggest you threaten them with migrating and ask them for a MAC code. PlusNet charge £40 to move their service but surprisingly forgot all about that when a mate of mine moved house and did the same, although he is signed up for another 12 months, (He didn`t want to lose his e-mail address really!)

skidzy 18:12 19 Nov 2007

Just had the same issues with Wanadoo,absolute nightmare !!!

I was told the same as you,BUT !

First thing you need to do;

Ring BT and make sure there database is updated with the phone number to the new post code this will enable a quicker connection.

You can then get the 20 day wait down to 5 days,i actually got mine reconnected in two days after a lot of debating on the phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?