Moving hard drive from one pc to another

Billyke 11:33 24 May 2010

Hello.

I want to move a hard drive that has four partitions, one being the operating partition.

I am happy that I will have to reinstall the OS once the drive is in the new machine, but will this affect the other partitions? Will they still be there and will the data still be intact?

Thankyou.

^wave^ 11:49 24 May 2010

yes i think all your data will be safe but back it up all the same its the only sure way to be 100% safe and then you will hav to renistall the os partition

seefuu1 12:28 24 May 2010

It will be ok,but make sure the partition that has the operating system on,which you will reinstall on the new pc(or whatever)is the correct one to be wiped.

As with windows 7,it is known that it does assign new drive letters,over writing the ones you know and love.So e: could become d: etc etc.

This is especially true if your old OS was on say a d: partition,the new windows 7 install would assign new letters to all the drives ,making it a bit confusing when installing the OS again,.

This happened to me with my XP and windows 7 dual boot install,my XP was on the f: partition and when i was at the windows 7 install OS screen,which asks you to choose the drive to install it on ,i selected the option to format the c: partition ,formatted it,and installed on that ,then when everything was installed,i found things were in the wrong drives and i had erased my stuff because of the newly assigned drive letters.

After that,i found some advice about giving the partitions names ,which helped a lot when i dual booted again from scratch.

kristain 12:39 24 May 2010

Try this:

1. Turn off both computers.
2. Open the cases.
3. Confirm there is room for an additional drive in the destination case and enough vacant connectors for the data and power cables.
4. Confirm the interface type is the same (IDE vs. SATA vs. SCSI...)
4a. If no, you'll need to confirm there is a controller of the right type or add one.
5. Being careful to GROUND yourself on the case, unplug the data and power cables for the drive you're going to move and unscrew / release any screws or mounting brackets that hold the drive in place (DON'T USE MAGNETISED tools!!!)
6. Adjust any jumpers as necessary on the hard drive and/or controller card so it will function properly in the destionation computer.
7. Being careful to GROUND yourself on the case, mount the drive in the new case. (leave as much room around the drive as possible for better ventilation)
8. Plug power and data cables back in.
9. Close cases.
10. On first powerup, you may want to check and make sure the new drive is detected in the BIOS on the destination machine.

Billyke 17:44 26 May 2010

Hello

Thanks for your thoughts.

Interesting about Windows 7. The disc I am moving has '7' on it though not yet registered [will do that after]. Will be interesting to see what happens. I will post results afterwards but I need to buy more RAM to cope with '7' so probably won't be till next week.

The drive will be the master, probably only one. Thanks for the reminder about IDE etc. Have made that mistake before!

onthelimit 18:08 26 May 2010

Really? If the RAM is that low (ie, an old machine) I would doubt that processor etc would be up to the job?

Billyke 09:13 27 May 2010

Hello onthelimit.
Interesting thought.
Processor is AMD Athlon 1.7GHz.

The machine only had 256Mb RAM in when I was given it. '7' needs 1Gb min.
I ran Microsoft's upgrade tool and it said memory was the only problem.

I just have to make do with what I have and this machine should be a lot more stable than the much older XP machine it will replace.

Billyke 22:06 20 Jul 2010

Have moved it successfuly. All data intact on non-system drives.
Thanks once again for your thoughts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017