moving a hard drive to new desktop

bigboab y 19:13 10 Apr 2007

I want to move my 40gig hard drive into a new tower box I have bought.Will there be any problems doing this? I want to keep all the stuff I have on the drive including windows XP etc.. I have swapped hard drives in laptops with no problems... they tend to boot up automatically,but I havnt done it on a desktop.Thanks in anticipation.

MAJ 19:16 10 Apr 2007

It might work okay, but usually it doesn't. You'll probably have to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. Backup your stuff in any case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 10 Apr 2007

You need to remove drivers for the old motherboard and equipment to prevent conflicts.

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

bigboab y 19:23 10 Apr 2007

MM thot there would be a problem..The new desktop has a 40 gig empty hard drive in it.If I load windows into that one using it as master,and hook up my existing drive as "slave" would that work??
I.e i could find my stuff still there on the slave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 10 Apr 2007

You will beable to look at the data photos docs etc. but will not be able to us the applications (programs) as they require registy entries.

bigboab y 00:36 11 Apr 2007

I see might be all I need any programs I use I have on disk so I'll load them back on the master.. cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017