moving hard drive

kimisam 01:35 22 Jan 2011

Hi,

can anyone tell me if it's possible to move a hard drive from an old pc to a new one with a different spec please. both pc will have xp pro, the old one is an AMD model, about 5 years old and dying, the new one is an Intel model. Or any other suggestion will be very much appreciated.

many thanks

ICF 07:29 22 Jan 2011

If this is the main operating system drive all the drivers would be different for the motherboard.So would be best to format and due a clean install of XP

If only a data drive then no problems at all.

Terry Brown 09:29 22 Jan 2011

With AMD on one and Intel on the the other and different motherboards, I doubt if the old drive would boot in the new system.

I would suggest using the transfer wizard click here to transfer your files from the old machine to the new one.
Terry

961 09:54 22 Jan 2011

Remember that a hard drive is a mechanical device and will eventually reach the end of its life and fail

5 years is a good age for a drive and you'd be much better transferring files to a new one

GaT7 14:30 22 Jan 2011

kimisam, I thought I answered the same query in your previous thread click here? G

kimisam 13:51 31 Jan 2011

Hi everyone,

I took the hard drive out from the old pc - AMD cpu- to a Intel Pentium Celeron cpu pc, this is what happened.

windows boot up and workable but the software that I need said: Illegal hard ware detected and will not work!

Now, I'm wondering is it because of different cpu platform or is it the software has been locked into that machine that causes this.

is anyone out there can help please.

many thanks

GaT7 13:58 31 Jan 2011

Is this about the Epos software click here you mentioned in your other thread?

I would suggest to try their forums click here. G

kimisam 15:17 31 Jan 2011

Hi Crossbow7,

thanks for your reply and your links is very interesting and I will take a look later.

It is the epos that is not working and is a catering wireless package that I'm using!

I will keeping you undated on what happens.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?