Moving files and folders to a new location.

orange123 21:57 08 Sep 2005

Hi,

I have an issue, i am using windows server 2003. I am copying files and folders from one drive F:/ to H:/ on the same server. The issue i have is i want to keep the same date stamps on the sub folders, but when i copy the folders across the modified date always changes to the current date and time. is there away of moving files and folders from one drive to another and keeping the same date stamps?

Thanks

Thalmus 22:01 08 Sep 2005

this might do the trick

click here

orange123 22:05 08 Sep 2005

hi, yeah i have looked into that and it only works for files. I need to move a whole directory with 50 odd sub folders. The reason i ask is because when i change the location of this data, when we sync the date from a laptop, it checks the server copy of the data and because the date stamps have changed in the move it think it needs to do a full synch as the folders modified date has changed. Any more ideas?

Thalmus 22:08 08 Sep 2005

Zip up the files and them extract them to the other disk, this should keep the date atamp

orange123 22:15 08 Sep 2005

cool... thats a new one to try. So zip up the main folder and then copy across to the new drive and then unzip the file, and that should keep the date stamps? Have you tried this before? Whats your understanding of synchronization. Am i correct in thinking that when the laptop checks the server and see's the date stamps have changed it thinks its been modified and therefore sync's the data from the server back to the laptop, so the date stamps on the server match the stamps on the laptop and the other way round? Does that sound about right?

Thalmus 22:19 08 Sep 2005

Yeah thats the way to do it, is just a theory though, I would test first before you do the whole lot. Let us know hoe it goes.

Thalmus 22:30 08 Sep 2005

An explaination can be found here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?