Moving files

xoc 17:51 23 Feb 2003

Am not sure if this is the correct area for this enquiry, but if not would appreciate it being re directd.
I need some tips on best way to move programs folders/files from one drive to other.
I must explain that I have two hard drives. One is a 2gb drive partitioned into C & E drives.
The C drive which contains my o/s w98se and is approx 1.75Gb, but only has 270 mb of useable space left so, am constantly being asked to remove some files from C
Whilst the E has approx .25Gb which I use for little used files.
I also have an 8gb drive D, with no partitions and of which approx 50% is in use with the balance free.
Can someone suggest the simplest way to move programs /folders/files from C to D.
I have tried opening both in separate explorer windows, and have tried dragging items from C to D.
I have also tried Cut & Paste, but always seem to end up with a monumental cock-up with shortcuts not being recognised etc etc, and whilst the space used in D seems to increase, I don't appear to get a resultant decrease in C, so whilst I am getting them to move ok, I feel that I end up with duplicate files on both drives.
I have been advised to buy Partition Magic but have no idea how Partition Magic works so would appreciate comments from those in the know.

Pesala 18:18 23 Feb 2003

This free utility is great for quickly seeing which files and directories take up most space.

click here

I would suggest uninstalling a few of the larger programs, then reinstalling them on the larger partition.

xoc 22:11 23 Feb 2003

Thanks Pesala,
It looks an interesting program, but I already know what I want to move, my question is what is the simplest way to do it from an amatuers point of view!!

Pesala 22:42 23 Feb 2003

Look at C:\Program Files

Right-click on various subfolders and choose Properties to get a measure of the space taken by that program. On my system:

C:\Program Files\Corel takes 345 Mbytes

C:\Program Files\NetObjectsFusion2.02 takes 92 Mbytes

C:\Program Files\ROUTE66 takes 729 Mbytes

C:\Windows\ takes 1 Gbyte, but you cannot move that

So just by uninstalling three programs I could save 1 Gbyte on my system. Then reinstall on your larger Drive D:

Sequioa would very quickly find other large files and directories for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?