Moving Favourites and other folders from 98SE to X

Sapins 09:53 12 May 2003

With a lot of help from forum members I have set up a dual boot system and I now would like to use XP, keeping 98SE just in case!
My problem is I don’t know how to move my Favourites folder and My Documents folder to XP. I have tried File/Import and Export but either it does not work or I do not understand the process!!!!! I have the Favourites folder backed up on a CD if I can use that route. If anyone can help (that’s a daft question on this forum) I would be most grateful.
Regards, Sapins

Sapins 09:54 12 May 2003

Should of course be XP in title.

temp003 10:31 12 May 2003

XP has a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard which you can explore.

But if you only need to transfer the two items, yo can do the following.

In XP, the Favourites folder is at X:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Favourites

where X is the drive letter of your XP partition, and [UserName] is the name of the user account.

Boot into either OS. You can just open the Favourites folder in 98 (usually at C:\Windows\Favourites), click Edit, Select All, and copy them to the XP folder.

Try to copy the contents of the folder to the XP folder, instead of copying the folder itself (if you know what I mean).

If you're restoring from a CD, after copying back to XP, remember to select all the shortcuts, right click, select Properties, and untick the Read-Only attribute, click OK.

For My Documents, the XP folder is at X:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\My Documents. Again just go to the 98 folder, and copy or move such files you need to the XP folder.

Sapins 11:54 12 May 2003

Thank you VERY MUCH temp003. Problem solved. I copied the files to X:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Favourites but somehow they appeared in Documents and Settings next to the Favourites folder. Still it was easy to drag and drop the files into the Favourites folder. I can now do this with any files/folders I wish to move from 98SE to XP. I cannot say how grateful I am for your help.
Regards, Sapins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?