Moving a data hdd from one pc to another.

awest3 16:14 28 Jun 2008

On another post I was asking about updating a Dell 4100 desktop..new MBO etc..decided this was not such a good idea (thanks for the suggestions guys). I have now decided to let my wife have my Dell 5000 and buy a new machine for myself..probably a dell 531s with some upgrades. My question is, 'I have an extra hdd (500gb) on the dell 5000 which I would want to switch to the new machine, I would like to preserve the data...no system stuff on it..is it just a matter of removing from one machine and fitting it to the other..?'

Thanks Al

Ditch999 16:57 28 Jun 2008

In theory, yes, as long as there is a place to install it, a spare power connector for it and a spare data connector (SATA or ATA) for it.
If its a SATA disk then its just plug it in and go. If its an ATA disk then its slightly different.

awest3 16:59 28 Jun 2008

Thanks Ditch..its a SATA disk. When I originally put it in the existing machine I had to do quite a bit of fiddling to get it recognised. I was hoping it would not be the same on the new machine and I could just fit it and go similar to an external hdd.

Al

awest3 17:00 28 Jun 2008

Sorry missed the 999 ...

awest3 20:04 10 Jul 2008

All ok on this one, as suggested it worked straight away..did not have to do anything..Thanks Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?