Moved to new case, now not turning on!

BaboonBoy22 14:15 07 Dec 2010

As stated in the title, I've moved my components into a new case, a Thermaltake DH 202 click here and I've changed my CPU cooler to a lower profile one.
As far as I'm aware everything is connected fine (apart from some cables for the front LCD for which I need to install drivers first).
After putting everything together, I've gone to turn it on.... and..... nothing! (I can hear a short slight squeak after pressing the power button that sounds like its coming from the PSU)
The LED on the MB is lit, so there's power getting to it.
This is about the 5th PC I've put together so I'm fairly confident with what I'm doing, but I'm stumped!

Any ideas? Or even better has anyone got experience with this case? Thanks guys

jamesd1981 14:28 07 Dec 2010

well are you sure you have put in all the motherboard risers needed the board def hasn`t touched case floor, and double check all you psu cables, and your case cables usb, audio, hdd led pwr reset etc.

BaboonBoy22 15:00 07 Dec 2010

All the risers are in that are required for my MB. All PSU cables are connected, (2 MB, 2 HDD, 1 ODD and 3 chassis fans) HD Audio, 1 USB, 1 Firewire, Pwr Switch, Pwr LED and Speaker cables are all in.
In the manual for the case they show a reset, and hdd led which there are no cables for, but there is no reset switch or hdd light on the front.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 07 Dec 2010

momentarily short the motherboard pins where the switch connects see if it starts.

No start = motherboard to PSU connection problem
Start - faulty switch or leads to switch.

BaboonBoy22 16:48 07 Dec 2010

My MB has a diagnostic card with a power and reset button on it. Pressing the power button doesn't do anything with or without the pwr switch cables attached

gengiscant 17:05 07 Dec 2010

Sounds like wrongly connected cables, easily enough done,done it myself on a few occasions. Go with 'Fruit Bat /\0/\' on this. It will rule one way or another.

c4rm0 19:20 07 Dec 2010

Sounds like something is shorting to me

When testing newly built machines that wont turn on i do the following

only leave the Memory , cpu + heatsink ,GFX card attached to the motherboard

Remove PSU from case

Put motherboard on a yellow pages attach PSU to mobo and plug in VGA cable power on system by using a pen to short out the power jumper on mobo

The amount of non booting system that i used to test the vast majority used to boot using this method

BaboonBoy22 11:14 09 Dec 2010

I've taken everything out, blasted every inch of the MB with an air duster just in case, put it all back in very Very carefully and now......
It's working fine! :o)

Thanks for everyone's help.
Still not sure what was wrong, didn't see anything that could have been shorting it, and all the cables are back in as I did it the first time. Weird!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?