Move My Documents to another HDD?

tonyjon 10:04 19 Aug 2007

Is it possible to move the My Documents folder from the 'Boot' drive to another HDD, possibly an external USB?

holme 10:22 19 Aug 2007

It's certainly possible to *copy* your My Documents folder onto another disc, of whatever type, simply by drag-and-drop.

This is always a good idea anyway, primarily to give you a back-up of all your valuable documents. Indeed, there are many utilities to ensure that the backup copy is kept updated so that, for example, any new or amended docs in your My Documents folder will automatically be copied to the backup disc.

However, you specifically asked whether it would be possible to *move* the folder. While this would be physically possible, that would leave you without the backup - are you certain that's what you wish to do?

Note that if you *move* the My Documents folder contents, so that they're no longer present on your main drive, Windows will automatically re-generate many of the sub-folders (My Music, My Videos, etc), but they will be empty. But in many cases, by default, it will continue to save data files, images, etc, into these sub-folders on the main drive, so you'll have to keep on moving them. HTH.

tonyjon 10:28 19 Aug 2007

Yes, I understand that, in fact I have an external USB which is the target for Vista Backup daily, and I have a Carbonite backup account on the great server in the sky, I just thought that it may be possible to change the standard windows variables somehow to include 'My Documents' on a permanent basis.

Eric10 11:05 19 Aug 2007

It's not advisable to move your My Documents to an external hard drive as this could cause a problem if the external drive was not available when needed. However, to move the folder to another internal hard drive or partition just right-click My Documents and choose Properties. Click the Move button on the target tab then browse to the drive where you want the folder to go and create a new folder if you haven't already created one. Answer 'Yes' when asked if you want to move all content to the new location.

SANTOS7 11:11 19 Aug 2007

click here

the link will help, but as holme and eric10 have suggested moving it to an external HDD is not advisable...

holme 11:37 19 Aug 2007

To answer your (modified) query posted at 10:28, I believe click here is what you need to do the global change. Select the 'Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder' option.

However, as Eric10 and SANTOS07 have said, IMHO it really isn't a good idea to use an external medium for primary data. Plug-in media are great for belt-and-braces back-up copies.

Can you help us to understand why you should want to do this? Is it a problem with disc capacity?

holme 11:44 19 Aug 2007

Sorry, I was called away before posting my previous response so hadn't realised you'd already anwered the query. I think we're all saying the same thing...

SANTOS7 11:53 19 Aug 2007

moving all but your O/S to another partition would make backing up and recovery a very simple and quick process, friend of mine does exactly that he has bare minimum on C:/ drive everything else is either on seperate HDD or partition.
he can format C:/ apply backup and be up and running in 20-30mins....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone