move from (C) to (D)

bobbybluenose 12:10 07 Oct 2008

HI
i would like to free up some space on HDD(C),i have a second HDD installed,what is the easiest way to achieve this, can i just drag and drop,
i have tried right click send to, but HHD(D)does not show in the list.

hastelloy 12:34 07 Oct 2008

Use windows explorer and drag & drop - only data files though, not programs.

Shortstop 12:35 07 Oct 2008

You cannot just drag & drop files as the registry will also have to be changed to indicate where the new program is - plus any additional links to other [minor] programs that are needed to make the main program run.

I use click here which is free for 10 uses/moves. I have never had an issue. It moves all files & changes registry + links.

HTH

Paul

bobbybluenose 12:42 07 Oct 2008

marvin42 thank you i will give it a go.
Shortstop trying your link cheers bbn.

peter99co 12:48 07 Oct 2008

Search for send to. It can be modified as it is a procedure. You can add to it by drag and drop.

I cannot remember exactly how it all works but it is an option.

bobbybluenose 13:06 07 Oct 2008

thanks got the gist of it,
but is it possible to put the things the kids mess with,like ituns,lime wire all there ipod and phone crap.

peter99co
found send to in search but have not got a clue how to modify it.

iambeavis 13:33 07 Oct 2008

Assuming you have "XP" - Open any folder and click on "Tools". From the drop-down menu choose "Folder Options" - "View" then choose "Show hidden files and folders".

Go to "My Computer" > "C" > "Documents and Settings" > "User name" > "SendTo".

With the "SendTo" folder open go to the "D" drive icon in "My Computer" and "drag" it to "SendTo".

Return to "Folder Options" - "View" then choose "Do not show hidden files and folders" ( optional ).

There is probably a simpler way of doing it than this, but this is the only way I know of.

Shortstop 15:29 07 Oct 2008

Just one thing though, this will not protect files on the C drive from attacks from a downloaded virus [eg: Limewire downloads] - if this is really what you are aiming for?

If you are looking to restrict the programs the kids have access to and yoo have XP, you could set up user accounts for them and remove access to programs you don't want them to have - but they would also have to be Users rather than Administrators so that they can't change this - but that means that they could not load new programs ....

BR

Paul

bobbybluenose 18:14 07 Oct 2008

paul
just got back from work, i am still trying to figure out your drag and drop post.
bobby

Shortstop 19:55 07 Oct 2008

marvin42 recommended drag & drop for things such as pictures, documents, music files etc. This is best done on a double-paned Windows explorer [one for the target drive/folder & one with the destination].

Left click on any file and, holding the button down 'drag' the mouse over to the other pane which has the D drive open and drop it onto the icon for the drive. This will then move the file & its contents across BUT this won't work for programs as I've already explained!

HTH

Paul

bobbybluenose 20:19 07 Oct 2008

OK got there in the end, thanks to you all for all your help.bobby
just on more thing i am transferring program files over to (D), is it safe to delete program files from (C) on completion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?