.mov files won't work on new Vista laptop

DANZIG 09:35 08 Apr 2007

Having just purchased a new lap top with Vista home premium in, I thought I would transfer my gigantic digital photo collection on to it.

My digital camera has a movie function on it and the files were used, on my home PC, by the Quicktime player.

Unfortunately it appears the Media player on Vista won't play them and I've been scouring all the free discs I have for Quicktime player but to no avail.

Is there a player out there that will play these .mov files. I have most of the PCA discs from about 2004 cluttering up my room so it would be useful if any of them have it on.

MAJ 09:38 08 Apr 2007

Quicktime Alternative. click here

Not half as big a nuisance as Quicktime.

Al94 09:39 08 Apr 2007
  MAJ 09:56 08 Apr 2007

Incidently, DANZIG, installing QTAlternative will also install the correct codecs to allow you to open your MOV files in Windows Media Player, just change the file association in the usual manner. in XP (not sure about Vista) its, right-click on a mov file, choose 'Open With', choose 'Choose Program', tick the 'Always use selected program to open files of this kind of file' and click OK.

bremner 11:20 08 Apr 2007

Another alternaive is VLC click here this little gem plays just about everything

DANZIG 11:31 08 Apr 2007

Sorted it.

Thanks for all the assistance!

The Q alternative thing works a treat.

Ta.

Stuartli 12:45 08 Apr 2007

You can also download all the Vista codecs from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017