Mouse/pointer works but not keyboard. What now, please?

buel 06:56 11 Oct 2013
Answered

Hi, I have a few issues with some laptops of mine that I have yet to resolve......but one of them I do need some advice on. I have bought a second hand laptop wheer the mouse works but the keyboard is unresponsive. Because I have only ever dealt with software before, I have no idea where to start with hardware problems such as this. Before I take it to the repair shop is there any advice as to anything I could try please?

onthelimit1 08:32 11 Oct 2013

Firstly, plug in a USB keyboard to see if that works. If it does, it may be the ribbon cable underneath the keyboard, or a driver problem..

john bunyan 08:32 11 Oct 2013

Read this for a start:

Keyboard

alanrwood 12:04 11 Oct 2013

Most likely the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the motherboard has come adrift. Normally not a time consuming problem to fix.

alanrwood 12:05 11 Oct 2013

Forgot to say, look inn device manager and see if the keyboard is listed there. If not then it is probable that the ribbon cable is the problem.

woodchip 13:28 11 Oct 2013

Ribbon Cable fastener is with a small white wedge,very delicate. they break easy

alanrwood 17:45 11 Oct 2013

Yes there are several ways the cable is secured in different sockets so look very carefully before pulling at it.

buel 09:47 12 Oct 2013

Hi all,

OK, here is a link to show that what looks like that the keyboard IS showing in Device Manager with no yellow exclamation mark? I take it the 'Standar ps2 keyboard' would be the usb one that i am using?

Also, there is an exclamation mark next to 'mass storage device'?

So is this good news then please? I have looked for SIW to find out the details of my laptop so i can search for drivers but cant seem to find a site that i trust?

buel 09:51 12 Oct 2013

Crucial scanner says my laptop is a VAIO VGN-NR110 Series.

buel 10:52 12 Oct 2013

Hi all,

OK, here is a link to show that what looks like that the keyboard IS showing in Device Manager with no yellow exclamation mark? I take it the 'Standar ps2 keyboard' would be the usb one that i am using?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 12 Oct 2013

see here to troubleshoot your keyboard

drivers download and install the chipset driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?