mouse wheel does not work with Word 2007

kissag 22:52 25 Nov 2007

Since installing Office 2007, the mouse wheel will not scroll in Word, although it works for every other programme.

Also the cursor flies about some times all over the screen, any help appreciated.

Scott 10:27 14 Dec 2007

Hi Kissag
I have exactly the same problem and have searched the internet for a solution without success. Did you ever manage to resolve the problem?
I bought Office 2007 and it works fine in all programmes on my Vista machine but in XP Pro it will not scroll in Word. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse drivers and I have tried a registry edit recommended by Microsoft but without success.
I hope you got a remedy and can pass it on to me!
Scott

VoG II 10:29 14 Dec 2007

It works for me using a Microsoft mouse so I don't think it is a problem with Word.

kissag 10:42 14 Dec 2007

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sorted out yet, tried a few things like reinstalling the mouse and drivers, changing mice (three so far) still not working, teh most annoying thing is that it works OK with every other programme, even with other office programmes, only Word 2007 has the problem!

I suppose I could look around for a Microsoft mouse that I could borrow to try.

JiK 00:09 21 Mar 2008

I've been "working" the scroll wheel failure for about 6 months, and finally got it to work, for my case. Setup is OEM Vista Home Premium, on a laptop, with FRP Office 2007.

Some prior attempts did not work until the regedit given by Microsoft KB940791 was made, and it appears to have been a necessary change before the following "other steps" worked. Immediately after I made that change, and rebooted, the scroll wheel worked in Word 2007 – for exactly 3 lines, and then disappeared again.

On my laptop, Control Panel | Mouse opens only the setup for the "Synaptics Pointer" which appears to be the built-in touchpad on the laptop. The same setup appears if I double-click to open the "Synaptics Pointing Device" icon from the SysTray (lower right). While it's not obvious, the "System Status" tab in this setup, notes this pointer as "disabled," which happens if any other mouse is connected. (In older laptops I usually had to manually disable the touchpad, to keep it from moving my pointer while I type.)

A separate mouse setup appears in the System Tray, but is easy to miss since mine doesn't "hint" when you hover on it. In my case it's a Belkin driver, and happens to be what Vista picked for the Microsoft USB wireless mouse/keyboard currently installed.

The separate mouse setup program should appear in Start | Programs | All Programs if you have a different mouse installed than the one you started with, or like mine may be "hidden" in the SysTray without a hint to tell you what it is. Since PnP sometimes guesses, especially for "simple hardware," the program name may not be what's expected. (I have NOT FOUND a way to access the setup for an "added mouse" in Control Panel, but there are lots of things I can't find where expected in Vista.)

Once I found the Belkin mouse – after the regedit – and changed it to "default Intellimouse" the scroll wheel worked in Word 2007. It does NOT work in the "Enhanced Scroll Mode" in WinME-II (a.k.a. Vista).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?