Mouse settings not saved after restart

FatboySlim71 09:50 19 Sep 2008

I am having a weird problem.

I am running Vista Ultimate. When I adjust my mouse settings, i.e. Pointer speed, Snap to etc. After I have restarted the computer, the settings have returned to their default setting. I was wondering if anyone could think of why this is happening. Thanks in advance.

jack 10:36 19 Sep 2008

PS2 should be OK as it is motherboard/Windows
Wireless or USB may be a separate software

FatboySlim71 10:44 19 Sep 2008

Thanks jack:

Sorry forgot to mention that. Its a wireless USB type.

Its a weird problem, if I use the Logitech Setpoint software it will save the pointer speed, but it will not save the snap to (aka Smart Move in the Setpoint software).

But when I use Window's own mouse settings it will not save the snap to or the pointer speed settings. I am going to try now to boot in safe mode and see if it loses the settings with doing this.

I have totally uninstalled the setpoint software as I am probably going to be getting a Microsoft mouse due to a scroll wheel problem I keep getting with the Logitech mouse (I have had 2 replacements since initially purchasing it in Feb 2008).

rdave13 10:55 19 Sep 2008

Have a look at this thread; click here

FatboySlim71 10:55 19 Sep 2008

I read about creating another user account and seeing then if it saved the settings to that new account, I done this and it does indeed keep the settings after logging on and off, but its not the best solution as all the programs/icons and quicklaunch are not there on my desktop like they are on my other admin account. This is what the article I read said,

"you could also add a new Admin account, and try and save the settings on that 1 and see if it sticks, if it does you know its a local policy preventing you from making changes to some settings, such as your mouse one."

FatboySlim71 10:58 19 Sep 2008

Thanks rdave13 but there were no left over Logitech entries in the startup.

FatboySlim71 11:36 19 Sep 2008

Just a thought regarding:

"creating another user account and seeing then if it saved the settings to that new account, I done this and it does indeed keep the settings after logging on and off, but its not the best solution as all the programs/icons and quicklaunch are not there on my desktop like they are on my other admin account."

With the new admin user account holding the settings, is there a way of been able to transfer all my programs/icons/quicklaunch, basically having everything on my desktop/computer/account identical to what I have on the account that I am having the problem with, on to my newly created account thats working fine.

FatboySlim71 11:48 19 Sep 2008

I have on my computer,

My girlfriend's account. This holds the settings ok.

The newly created account. This holds the settings ok.

I have my own account and this is the only one that will not hold the settings, I don't know if this will be of any help.

FatboySlim71 12:16 19 Sep 2008

Just tried booting in safe mode.

Now I could not access the mouse settings part as it wouldn't let me with been in safe mode, also when I right clicked no menu appeared so I was unable to determine if the snap to function was still working, but the mouse did feel more sensitive, i.e. It seemed to need to be moved less to move it across the screen than what it does now, so I am assuming that it was able to hold the settings whilst been in safe mode although I can't be 100 percent.

FatboySlim71 12:30 19 Sep 2008

Just done a Clean Boot but the settings did not get saved when clean booting.

FatboySlim71 13:53 19 Sep 2008

Also,

If I hibernate the settings are saved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?