Mouse, screen & keyboard freeze

rsignals 19:11 21 May 2009

Vista Business SP1
Avast, Comodo, SAS, Malwarebytes
Geforce 8500+ GT

Boots into windows OK, loads desktop icons/shortcuts etc. Then mouse, keyboard & screen all freeze. Can force a restart into Safe Mode and have tried a couple of System Restores - but same problem.

Any ideas guys?

MAT ALAN 19:16 21 May 2009

Don't think its screen, could be faulty mouse and/or keyboard fair test would be to try another...

rsignals 19:22 21 May 2009

Thanks Mat. All 3 work fine in Safe Mode, so I'm guessing it's something else.

I've noticed that Caps & Num lock also not working (no light on keyboard) - but again they both work in Safe Mode

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 21 May 2009

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

If Ok in safe mode the driver conflicts or memory problems

rsignals 19:29 21 May 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat - all seems OK in Safe Mode so I will start poking around the driver conflict and memory areas.

MAT ALAN 19:30 21 May 2009

your Keyboard drivers may be corrupt, or something else running is conflicting with them. Is this a standard keyboard? If it is, do the following:

First thing I would do would right-click My Computer and go to Properties, Device Manager tab and double-click the Keyboard list.

First things first - are there any red question marks or yellow Exclamation points listed in there, anywhere, not just in Keyboards?

Is there more than one Keyboard listed?

Remove all keyboard entries by clicking it, and selecting the Remove button.

Click OK, then restart your system and see if the keyboard is detected as new hardware upon Windows startup.

rsignals 19:32 21 May 2009

Thanks for that Mat. Will also give that a try - back later.

rsignals 22:08 21 May 2009

Update. No solution yet. All drivers updated and no conflicts that I can see.

The thing that's bugging me is everything works fine in Safe Mode - but it still "freezes" (screen, mosue & keyboard) at the very end of Windows Normal boot/load desktop.

Am now scanning (in safe mode) with Malwarebytes, to be followed by SAS and Avast (which I probably should have done right at the beginning...)

Ho hum, all thoughts/suggestions gratefully received!

MAT ALAN 22:15 21 May 2009

I still think its driver related and it has been known to be linked to your display drivers try up dating drivers for your VGA card it might help...

MAT ALAN 22:17 21 May 2009

could also be down to a security update you might have had recently..

birdface 22:19 21 May 2009

There have been a few problems with Flash and IE8 if you have downloaded it recently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone