Mouse and programme conflict

Royus 13:52 21 Aug 2008

I am using Vista as my operating system. My new computer came with reasonable mouse but had just bought a new expensive Logitech Laser mouse prior to old computer finally crashing after a long and uselful life.
Obviously wanted to us new Laser mouse with new computer and had no problems with it until I bought Coral Photo Shop photo editing programme. I got the strange message that "something" had changed the windows colour scheme. From then on the cursor of the mouse went haywire and would not point to any of the commands. I contacted Coral who suggested that I update my mouse drivers, which I did, first removing the old ones. This did not make any difference and have not use the very expensive Photo editing programme since.
As a recent gift,my son bought me Magix Photos on CD and DVD, which is a very good slide show creator. I had used a previous verson some years ago on Windows XP, which would not now work on Vista. Nearly started to tear my hair out when I found I was having the same problem with the mouse as on Adobe photo editing programme.
These are the only two programmes which are affected. I do not want to use my old mouse, I like the Laser mouse but cannot resolve this problem. Any help most appreciated.

Ditch999 16:38 21 Aug 2008

Vista has a habit of installing its own generic drivers for some hardware even though you install ones for it yourself. (Especially if they are not WHQL'd)
Go to Device Manager and look at the drivers tab of the mouse and make sure it is using the Logitech ones you installed. It might just be a case of clicking Update Driver and point Windows to where the driver is installed.
Also make sure that you uninstalled your old mouse and any software for it.

Royus 12:05 22 Aug 2008

I followed your instructions. The only mouse driver is the Logitech one, which is up to date. May I ask if this forum allows graphics to be posted? I could post view of error which appears on screen when I try to use Masgix Photos on CD and DVD and Coral Print Shop photo editing programmses.

Ditch999 21:31 22 Aug 2008

Try uninstalling the Logitech driver and use the generic Vista one.

Its possible that your mouse is not Vista compatible.

rdave13 22:10 22 Aug 2008

Try this, disable UAC and do the reboot.
Go to C/P, Hardware and Sound-- mouse, hardware tab-- unknown device and then 'enable' through 'properties' if I remember properly.
Reboot again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?