Mouse Problems

hawthorn59 16:54 08 Mar 2010

Hi Folks

I have a new laptop (about 6 weeks now) with Windows 7. Just yesterday the mouse is starting to give a little peoblem....I have to click it a few times for it to operate. Or if I click it harder it will work. The touchpad is ok and works as normal. Also the problem is not just when online but with word processor etc; opening a file takes a few clicks or sometimes wont work at all.

I dont have installation disk, it just pligs in and plays!

Any ideas....?

thanks

h

rawprawn 16:57 08 Mar 2010

New batteries?

Pineman100 17:05 08 Mar 2010

I assume you're talking about a proper external mouse, not the buttons on the trackpad?

If it is a separate mouse, then how old is it? It's not impossible that it has simply reached the end of its working life and needs replacing.

However, before you get to that point, have a look in Start>Control Panel>Devices & Printers>Device Manager. Click the + sign next to Mice & Other Pointing Devices, then you'll see an entry for your mouse. Does it have a yellow excalamtion mark against it? If so, then it's not working properly.

Right-click on that entry for your mouse. In the menu, click on Properties. Click the Driver tab, then click on the Update Driver button.

See if that works.

Diemmess 17:09 08 Mar 2010

"Or if I click it harder it will work."

Is it also insensitive to a right click?"
If not, perhaps you have a failing microswitch on the left button.

What sort of mouse is it. Old ball variety, optical?
A cordless mouse doesn't plug in at all but does need batteries

hawthorn59 19:21 09 Mar 2010

It probably is something with the left button; the right click is perfect.

But I can live with it by just clicking a bit more firmly till I get a new one!

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017