Mouse problems

lonemascot 21:21 07 Aug 2009

I could be writing in a box (like this one or the url address bar) and after a few seconds the window somehow deselects itself as if I have clicked the mouse on a different window and I can no longer write in the box until I actually re click the box. It does it on all programs and is really starting to irritate me.

Furthermore, in a couple of programs the mouse pointer disappears completely and I lose mouse functions until i reset the computer using the keyboard. When it does this computer functions work fine, i just can't click anything.

I have a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse which has always worked till now. Windows OS is Vista.

Any ideas?

Sea Urchin 21:34 07 Aug 2009

New batteries for the mouse?

lonemascot 21:35 07 Aug 2009

I have a dock that recharges them. There is an indicator light that flashes red when they are low but it hasn't been doing that.

Sea Urchin 21:40 07 Aug 2009

Maybe this might help?

click here

Technotiger 21:44 07 Aug 2009

Have you tried a different USB slot?

Sea Urchin 21:45 07 Aug 2009

The mouse is wireless

Sea Urchin 21:49 07 Aug 2009

Sorry - ignore my last posting

lonemascot 21:59 07 Aug 2009

Thanks for link but this is not what is happening.

The box I am writing in becomes deselected somehow and i have to reclick in it to carry on writing.

When the mouse disappears, it is permanent until computer is restarted.

This a fairly recent problem and settings have not been changed since i bought the computer.

Technotiger 22:05 07 Aug 2009

Try different USB port, or Try a System Restore back to when it was all ok.

lonemascot 22:15 07 Aug 2009

A system restore is a bit excessive for something that should surely be an easy fix for you computer boffins.

Sea Urchin 23:00 07 Aug 2009

This is called "stealing focus" where another application causes the window to become inactive. If you download TweakUI (it's actually for XP but this fix does work on Vista as well) and then go to General - Focus - and then tick Prevent Applications from Stealing Focus. Click Apply and OK.

Also, have you tried using another mouse (maybe a wired one)?

Otherwise it is quite likely to be malware. A-Squared Free has a good record in removing mouse bugs.

TweakUI
click here

A-Squared Free
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?